- About Us
- Our Talent
- Our Work
- All Practice Areas
- Appellate Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Congressional Investigations
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Employment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct
- FCPA and Anti-Corruption
- Investigations and Crisis Management
- Public Interest Litigation
- Regulatory Enforcement and Litigation
- Securities Enforcement and Litigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Contact Us
FCPA and Anti-Corruption
Kaplan Hecker & Fink lawyers have deep experience conducting investigations of alleged FCPA violations, conducting internal investigations, representing companies and individuals in FCPA investigations and other government enforcement matters, and advising companies on anti-corruption compliance. Based on his extensive record of success, Sean Hecker has been ranked by Chambers as one of the leading FCPA attorneys in the country: “The ‘terrific’ Sean Hecker earns considerable respect for his adept handling of both government investigations and criminal proceedings concerning potential violations of the FCPA, along with other global anticorruption and antibribery laws. He also frequently advises companies on compliance measures and internal investigations. Clients speak highly of him as a ‘pragmatic and down-to-earth’ lawyer.”
In his roles as the highest-ranking career official in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Criminal Division and as Chief of the Criminal Division in the Eastern District of New York, Marshall Miller oversaw some of the nation’s highest-profile corruption prosecutions, supervising the Department’s flagship FCPA and domestic corruption sections, spearheading the Department’s cooperation with international law enforcement partners in all corners of the globe, and leading the United States delegation at the Working Group on Bribery of the international Organisation on Economic Co-operation & Development (OECD).
We understand the legal and regulatory landscape and how it has evolved in recent years, as well as the complex challenges of operating a global business.
Other representative FCPA and Anti-Corruption matters include:
- Representing Cheikh Gadio, the former foreign minister of Senegal, in a complaint filed by the U.S. Department of Justice Fraud Section under the FCPA. The complaint alleged that Mr. Gadio had conspired with a representative of a large Chinese energy company in a bribery case. After months of discussions, Kaplan Hecker succeeded in securing a government dismissal of the complaint against Mr. Gadio and a non-prosecution agreement in September 2018.
- Representing an individual in the energy trading industry in connection with a DOJ FCPA investigation of activities in Latin American.
- Providing advice concerning FCPA compliance to a major global insurance corporation.
- Representing a global healthcare company in connection with pending DOJ and SEC investigations of potential anti-trust and corruption issues in both Latin America and Asia.
- Representing a leading global financial services firm in connection with anti-corruption compliance matters.
- Conducting an internal assessment of FCPA risks for a global private equity firm.
Prior to joining Kaplan Hecker, some of our lawyers’ representative FCPA and Anti-Corruption matters included:
- Representing a company in an internal investigation and coordinating resolutions with the DOJ, Brazilian, and Singaporean criminal authorities in relation to alleged corruption in Brazil.
- Representing a leading financial services company in an internal investigation and coordinating resolutions with the DOJ and French authorities in relation to alleged corruption in Libya.
- Representing a Fortune 500 company in connection with FCPA investigation by the DOJ and SEC.
- Securing declinations from DOJ and international regulators on behalf of an international corporate client in connection with whistleblower allegations of violations of the FCPA and other international anti-corruption laws.
- Representing a former senior executive of a global healthcare company in DOJ and SEC investigations of potential accounting and FCPA issues.
- Representing the audit committee of the board of directors of a multinational consulting firm in an internal investigation of potential FCPA violations relating to projects in the Middle East, Latin America and Asia.
- Representing a former government official of an African nation in FCPA and money laundering charges in the SDNY.
- Representing a Fortune 100 company in civil and criminal investigations regarding possible FCPA violations, resulting in both the DOJ and SEC closing their investigations without bringing any charges or seeking any penalties.
- Representing a former executive of a leading financial services company in an SEC investigation of potential FCPA issues involving hiring practices in Asia.
- Representing a large pharmaceutical company in conducting internal investigations of alleged corruption at two European subsidiaries.